Thrifty Thursday: How to Turn a Lame Shirt into a Cool One
Posted February 23, 2012
I learned how to do this recently, and I kind of wish I had more plain shirts so I could cut them all and make them look this awesome.
WHAT YOU NEED
- A flat clean surface
- Sharp scissors that have NEVER cut on paper
- Shirt that you want to cut
1. Cut the bottom seam so you can have some scraps for later on
2. Align the side seams of your shirt so you can cut in the middle of the back without problems.
3. Beginning at about one inch from the bottom of your shirt, make a cut every inch, going a bit further at each cut (creating a V-shape) stop at about 5 inches from the top.
4. Unfold the Shirt
5. Stretch each line individually until they curl a bit.
6. Beginning with the SECOND string from the top, grab that string, go over the top string and then pull it under. Then grab the third string, pull it over the second, then pull it under. Keep going until the bottom. (ideally you will do this while somebody is wearing the shirt)
7. Grab a scrap of fabric and knot it around the bottom seam and the last string. YOU'RE DONE!
I also cut the collar so it would fall off the shoulder, but you don’t have to, it will still look good either way. Remember to keep your scraps, you might need them for another project!